Road to the future
The NC 107 highway project is getting ready to start back up again. A while back, we asked you for feedback to assist us in finding a new location. There are still a lot of things for us to consider, and we could use your help to make sure we are meeting your needs. But first, a few details:
Status of road project
Construction is expected to start by 2025, but a lot of things are happening even now that you cannot see. The state is preparing for the property acquisition phase of the project, which means that assessments will be made in the coming months and affected properties will be acquired during the coming year. This phase of the process is expected to be finished by the end of 2022, which means, at most, we have a year in our current location, likely less. Once the paperwork is in effect, we will have about 90 days (maybe a little more) to vacate the building.
How you can help: Advisory Council
We are looking for a few dedicated folks to be part of a new “Advisory Council” to assist us determining the next phase of our journey. There are lots of details to consider, and we would like the input of our “regulars” to help guide us in the best possible direction.
We are looking for volunteers who
- attend classes regularly at The Meditation Center
- live in greater Sylva/northern Jackson County
- are committed to being an active part of the process, not just trying to keep up on the details
- are committed to maintaining strict confidentiality.
What we need from you
- Help in researching and identifying a new location.
- Commitment to participate in monthly or bi-monthly Zoom meetings.
- Help in identifying and considering other related factors that may pertain to achieving our goal
What needs to be considered
Based on your feedback:
- Central location in or near Sylva
- Minimal road noise
- Easy access by car
- Reasonable visibility for passers-by
- Flexible configuration/meeting space
- Ability to pay for the space (rent or purchase) once we find it
- Options for a temporary meeting space until a permanent location is secured (if needed)
- Other logistical concerns as they are identified
If you are interested in participating in this effort, please contact Mark Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org. In our first meeting, we will discuss the above requirements in more detail.
Don’t want to be part of a committee?
That’s okay, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but we will still appreciate it if you let us know if you spot a potential location that inspires you! Thanks for your help!